TOMBALL (October 1, 2020) – Tomball Regional Health Foundation (TRHF) is proud to announce the funding in the amount of $20,000 for the Teen and Family Services (TAFS) 2020/2021 program in Tomball. They were founded in 2002 and are committed to providing teens and their entire family the tools, skills and knowledge to deal with substance abuse problems in a holistic way. They focus on fostering success that will continue after the families graduate from the program and throughout their lifetime. At TAFS, their goal is to help teens achieve continued abstinence, increased empathy, consistency in relationships, help leading a life of fulfillment and success, and improved communication.
Teen and Family Services is a therapeutic pro-active in-school, after-school, and weekend alterative peer group for teens who are in recovery for substance abuse or other harmful behaviors. They focus on the adolescent’s journey toward sobriety and work to heal both the family and child. Their goal is to help teens enjoy: continued abstinence, increased empathy, consistency in relationships; a life of fulfillment and success; and improved communications.
“Through TAFS relationship with Tomball ISD and the Tomball Regional Hospital Foundation, we have been able to reach teens and families who would not be able to receive comprehensive behavioral health services. This has allowed students to graduate High School and become responsible and productive members of the community. We are so thankful for the generous gift and wonderful partnership with TRHF, said George W. Youngblood, CEO”
Below are a few statistics that were seen during the 2019/2020 school year in which TRHF also funded.
- During the spring semester of the 2019/2020 academic calendar fifty-one students were served via the community-based Alternative Peer Group (APG) program, and 13 students were served via the Tomball ISD R.I.S.E program.
- Out of the total number of screenings that TAFS performed at the community-based APG, 43% (22 clients) signed-up and participated in the TAFS program.
- 100% of the APG clients who participated in the program received either a partial or full scholarship for services.
- To date, there is a zero percent recidivism rate of students to the district's alternative campus who have fully participated in the R.I.S.E program over the past two academic years.
- Between January and March of 2020, each client had access to 132 hours (11 hours a week x 12 weeks) of life skills education, relapse prevention courses, recovery workshops, and individual and family counseling.
- The 35 community-based clients received a total of 2,904 (22 clients x 132 hours) hours of service between January and March of 2020. This intensive support ultimately changed the course of several young peoples' lives—one client achieved over one year of continuous sobriety, and three other clients gained five months of continuous sobriety.
“Tomball Regional Health foundation is please to fund this wonderful program that helps the youth in our service area. With the restrictions that were placed on all Americans due to the pandemic our youth are even more at risk to turn to substance abuse and we are proud that our community has an organization for them and their families to turn to for help, said Lynn LeBouef CEO.”
Tomball Regional Health Foundation (TRHF) is the new name of the Tomball Hospital Authority (THA). The THA was the owner and operator of the Tomball Regional Medical Center from its founding in 1976 up until its sale in 2011. TRHF’s mission is to promote wellness and improve health status for all residents in our communities through programs that enhance access to health care, preventative care and health education.Please visit the new TRHF website at www.trhfoundation.org for more information regarding the foundation.
Teen and Family Services (TAFS) is committed to providing your teen and entire family the tools, skills and knowledge to deal with substance abuse problems in a holistic way. We focus on fostering success that will continue after families graduate from our program and provide guidance and strength that will remain with you for a lifetime. At TAFS, our goal is to help your teen achieve continued abstinence, increased empathy, consistency in relationships, help leading a life of fulfillment and success, and improved communication.